October 18, 2009

Double (veggie) burger


It's not that I felt guilty munching on my salmon-and-scallion and tuna-and-avocado maki rolls at Spices (3333 Connecticut Ave. NW, in Cleveland Park) alongside a handful of MHS alumni (and a lawyer from Chicago who got ticketed recently for "colliding" after he rearended an unmarked police cruiser and then chose not to dispute the unusual violation because, he explained, "you don't tug on Superman's cape"). I even got a strange thrill watching a waiter carve a small, roasted duck at a nearby table. But I was also inspired by the dogged vegetarianism of two dining companions, Alex and Emily, who interrogated our server to make sure their vegetables would not even smell like fish. So in their honor, I sauteed four Morningstar veggie burgers for dinner, tossed them on two toasted, sesame rolls and topped them with sauteed onions, Dijon mustard and Sriracha hot chili sauce. (If you're wondering, that glistening is not a photographic anomaly, but rather evidence that I poured way too much olive oil into the wok.)