March 7, 2010

That new sound you're looking for?

My in-laws were in town tonight, those great patrons of Pipón.* (Since I moved to D.C. last July, they have sponsored trips to Ulah, Founding Fathers, Busboys and Poets, Grapeseed and countless Frederick joints.) Today's treat? Marvin (2007 14th St. NW).

Like nearby Eatonville, named for Zora Neale Hurston, Marvin is an homage to a great American artist, Marvin Gaye, who I'm told lived in the neighborhood. The menu, however, is not simply southern. Instead, it's also a reflection of Gaye's "two years in self-imposed exile in the small Belgian town of Ostend." Try the "Chicken Liver and Foie Gras Royale," served with sweet onion marmalade and toasted baguettes, and the lamb with fingerlings and salty broccoli rabe.

*They do not actually read my blog, but without them, Pipón would only feature my home cooking and reviews of the SAIS cafeteria.