November 10, 2009

Mook


Forgive the hyperbole, but on stardate Oct. 10, 2009, I encountered one of the most impressive feasts I've ever seen. The delay in posting the photos is evidence not that I'd forgotten about this unforgettable Korean smorgasbord, but rather that without help, I simply could not identify a single dish. Now, thanks to the beautiful and talented Sarah Yun, one of the chefs and my culinary translator, I'm ready to relive this meal, and to kick myself again for being too shy to swipe some sobras.


At top, "japchae," sweet potato noodles sauteed with vegetables; "dduk-boki," sticky rice cake and fish cakes cooked in red pepper paste; and "bo ssam," steamed meat wrapped in cabbage. Above, "dooboo" (tofu), cooked in spicy soy sauce.


"Jun," egg-battered, meat and zucchini mini-pancakes.


"Mook," Korean jelly made with green lentils, topped with soy sauce, seaweed, sesame oil and herbs.


DVD (er, slide show) "special features": The chance to see Sarah and her fellow chefs, including Regina Kim and the hostess, Kee Hoon Chung Ju Hye Ki, and to discover another dish from the Korean bounty (spicy garlic chicken, a Korean/Chinese fusion) and another Sarah Yun specialty, served up more recently at a mini-Korean encore feast (two types of "rice fists," translated literally because they look just like fists, one with tuna and the other with "kimchi").