May 13, 2010

Halibut: "Ni lo pienses"

Normally, it is not my policy to hype dinner parties I'm not invited to, particularly when, as a consolation prize, I'm offered leftover cold fish as a late-night, study break pick-me-up. But because this sounds so very tasty (and not just because I'd eat a dirty batting glove if it were simmered in coconut milk), I give you Lauren Miller's "luscious halibut."


"Luscious, while also sustainable, this free range halibut combines the richness of organic coconut milk with the spiciness of jalapeños, making it the perfect meal for two environmental lovers," Ms. Miller tells Pipón. (It's not clear to me if they should be lovers of the environment, each other or both.) Ms. Miller's recipe involves marinating halibut in lemon juice and olive oil and then baking it for 10 minutes before it is "bathed" in a sauce of onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and spices (including fennel seeds, tumeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper) and then returned to the oven for an additional 20 minutes. Serve with orzo and asparagus, and pair it with Food Inc. or An Inconvenient Truth. (To be fair, the film recommendations are mine, not b-school-bound Ms. Miller's, but the orzo et al. are all hers.)

Photo by Julia Oliver.