May 13, 2010

Toledo

As I explore the DC food scene, there are a few mysteries I cannot yet unravel:
  1. Why do so many Chinese fast food joints serve subs?
  2. Why do so many Mexican restaurants, including the highly regarded but surprisingly high-priced Mixtec (1792 Columbia Rd. NW), serve waffles?
  3. Why do so many people wait for so long to eat at Pasta Mia (1790 Columbia Rd. NW)? (My best guess: crack in the marinara.)
While I dig into these eccentricities, here are a few things I have figured out over the past few days:
  1.  El Tamarindo (1785 Florida Ave. NW) is now abierto las 24 on weekends, joining The Diner (2453 18th St. NW) as an Adams Morgan source of decent late-night eats.
  2. On Wednesdays, the grimy but hip Toledo Lounge (2435 18th St. NW) serves up mediocre but cheap grilled cheese sandwiches ($3.50) and $2 draft beer. (It appears likely that the cheese in the grilled cheese, Toledo's top seller, comes to the bar pre-sliced and individually plastic wrapped, if you know what I mean. But the bread is nicely buttered and browned, and the onion rings are fat and delicious.)